An indoor plant or garden can be a great source of fresh air to a home’s decor; it’s like adding a little bit of nature into your own personal living space. Can grow vegetables indoors, opening up fresh produce even to those stuck in a small city apartment. But yes, caring for those indoor plants has been always a big task: even in well-lit rooms, many plants are not able to get enough light to grow as fully as they would otherwise. To alleviate this, indoor growers prefer to purchase a grow light.
For indoor planters, the advantages and restrictions of using LED grow lights are not specific. You have to use them differently than a standard grow light.
What is grow light?
Grow lights are artificial light sources, usually electric lights used to grow plants. These lights work by producing a light spectrum suitable for photosynthesis. Indoor grow lights are used in situations where there is either not enough natural light to grow a plant or where additional light is needed.
Grow lights are a great way to increase the amount of time that plants receive light, to help them grow faster, or to grow in situations where there would otherwise be insufficient light.
Depending on the type of plant to be grown, natural conditions are imitated using different shades, colors, temperatures and intensity of light. You can use indoor grow lights in your house to grow garden plants all year round. Grow lights can even be used for the production of food on a commercial scale.
Grow lights for plants are typically much more powerful than lights used for lighting indoor spaces.
LED Grow Light
LED stands for light-emitting diode. A form of solid-state lighting, an LED uses a semiconductor chip, known as an LED die that turns an electrical current into photons through a process called electroluminescence. An LED may be configured either as a single-die emitter that’s mounted on a circuit board, or an array of dies mounted directly on a circuit board, which is known as a chip-on-board (COB) module. An LED lamp is made up of an LED mounted to a heat sink, along with directional lenses and a power supply.
Today’s LED grow lights are designed to emit wavelengths of light that produce the natural daylight spectrum, or they can be precisely adjusted to put out ideal wavelengths for the varying needs of growing plants. They feature additional cooling systems to increase their efficiency.
- Energy efficient lights
- Most inexpensive source of artificial light
- Longer life span
- Produces more light per watt than the fluorescents or HIDs Wide range of range of color spectra
- Customizable light based on the different stages of plant growth
- Easy to use artificial grow lights
One of the main reason to using LED grow lights instead of using high-intensity discharge (HID) lamps when growing indoors:
- Full spectrum light is easier on the eyes and adding at least some amount of green light to burbles typically results in healthier growth.
- LED Lights gives you a longer season, and cut back on AC requirements, which can be a huge energy hog and leads
- LED grow lights to produce light differently. One of the main advantages of LED over grow lights is the adjustable light spectrum.
- Deliver light that is within the spectrum that is easily absorbed by plants.
- LED lights are better for the environment than grow lights due to the energy savings
- An LED grow light yields up to 1.5 grams per watt while using a lot less electricity in order to produce the same luminosity
- Easy to install as just find the right spot, plug them and you`re ready to start growing
These days, the best lighting for growing indoors is LED grow lights. LEDs offer a better spectrum of light for plant growth, more efficient to run and also don’t have a huge heat output either so often you won’t need to add ventilation/heat extraction fans etc.